Friday, May 13, 2016

Baked Salmon with Peach and Avocado Salsa

So I've been considering trying out the Whole30 diet with some of my coworkers who have had lots of good things to say about it. For those of you who aren't familiar it is similar to a Paleo diet, but even more restrictive. For one month, it completely strips away "hormone-balancing, gut-disrupting, inflammatory food groups" considered to be grains, sugar, dairy, alcohol, and legumes. It consists of a lot of veggies and protein. You would be surprised how many things you use on a daily basis that have so much added sugar - ketchup, salad dressing (I thought I was being so good with my salads!) and yogurts. 

Since I am leaving for a business trip in Europe next week, I decided not to start until I am back from that. June 1st is the big day. Until then I decided to try out a few recipes that I found and so far I am loving them! This is the first I made and plan on making quite a few times during the month of June.

Thanks to The Roasted Root for this amazing and simple recipe: Grilled Salmon with Peach and Avocado Salsa! Their picture below is just so delicious looking (later on you'll get to see mine). I did modify the original recipe a bit because I don't have a grill, so mine is Baked Salmon with Peach and Avocado Salsa.


Ingredients:

  • 1 lb salmon filet, cut into 3 or 4 portions
  • 2 ripe but firm peaches, pitted and cut in half
  • 1 avocado, peeled and diced
  • 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
  • 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • sea salt to taste

Instructions:

  1. Preheat the oven at 375
  2. Place the peaches cut side down on the greased pan and baked until soft, but not falling apart (about 10 minutes). 
  3. Chop the peaches into bite size pieces and place in a bowl.
  4. Add the remaining ingredients for the salsa to the bowl with the peaches and toss to combine. Refrigerate until ready to use.
  5. Cut the salmon filet into serving size pieces, drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
  6. Place the salmon on the grilling pan skin side down and bake until it is opaque and flaky (internal temp of 145, 10-15 minutes). 
  7. Serve grilled salmon with peach avocado salsa.

Here is the final product served with asparagus and herbed cauliflower rice (another Whole30 recipe I tried and will be sharing!).

6 comments:

  1. This seems like a great summer recipe now that the weather's getting better! Can't wait to read the cauliflower rice recipe - I heard about cauliflower rice the other day and thought it sounded really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious...another recipe to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love salmon and asparagus! This recipe is very creative. I will be trying it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did Whole30 over a year ago and it really does make you feel great but you have to get past the first week. I literally had dreams of chocolate cake. Afterwards I kept most of what I learned while on Whole30 but I don't go crazy anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! Never would have thought to add avocado and peach together.

    ReplyDelete